Saturday, January 26, 2013

Remote Terminal 1.2.0 now available

In this update I added two often requested features:

Full-screen terminal view
This was, understandably so, by far the most requested feature. First I tried to add the option to switch between the old "windowed" view and the new full-screen view but while I was doing that I decided that the full-screen mode is the only one that makes sense anyway, so I just dropped the old view completely. I suppose nobody is going to miss it. This feature also fixes the problem that a few lines at the bottom of the terminal are covered by the on-screen keyboard in some configurations.

SSH Private Key Agent functionality including Agent Forwarding
This was an interesting feature to add because there was no previous support for it in SSH.NET, of which I am using a modified version in Remote Terminal. The Private Key Agent can be accessed from the bottom AppBar on the favorites page where private keys can be loaded/unloaded. To be used it must be selected as the authentication method of a connection. Agent Forwarding (OpenSSH-style, which is the only one used, to my knowledge) can also be activated for each connection separately. Please do not expect SSH-1 keys to work. Although they can be added and deleted through the Agent Forwarding feature, they are neither displayed inside Remote Terminal, nor is the actual authentication working when forwarding the agent to an SSH-1 server.

Other changes:
  • When the App is running in trial mode the remaining days are displayed on the favorites page
  • Added missing implementation for ANSI terminal escape sequence CSI@
  • Fixed crash when switching to a disconnected terminal
  • Fixed crash related to ANSI terminal scroll regions
  • Fixed unexpected disappearance of terminal lines after screen size/orientation changes
 As always, thank you for your feedback, which is mostly very positive! I am happy about every comment, e-mail or App review.

PS: To whoever is responsible for certifying this update at Microsoft: Thank You! It took a mere four hours from submission to publication in the store!

4 comments:

  1. I just installed Remote Terminal for the first time and it's definitely one of the best 3rd-party apps for Windows 8, so thanks for that. One hiccup so far: is it possible to paste content from the clipboard into the terminal? I tried ctrl+v, shift+insert, and right-clicking, to no avail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words, Dane! I'm trying to do my best.

      Regarding your question: copy & paste is, now that i've implemented the full-screen terminal view, by far the most requested feature. I can assure you that paste functionality will surely be implemented for the next update.

      As for selecting and copying text out of the terminal, I don't know yet...it's a bit more complicated to implement and I don't want to release it before I'm satisfied with it. So maybe it'll be in the next update too, but don't rely on it...there are other things I am giving higher priority like changing the font size and host key verification.

      Delete
  2. +1 for requesting both copy and paste.

    I was happy to see that when I upgraded from the trial version to the full version that I got upgraded to 1.2 as well. The fixes for using inline editing of the command line are definitely noticed. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome, John!
      I'm already working on a useful copy feature...

      Delete